Part 5



Calderion’s Journeys Part 5:
The Tower in the Slithering Deeps
(A Solo Pathfinder game project)

Scene 27
   Before I start in on the Emulator again I’m going to take a bit of time and add up the Experience Points this last fight earned, and level up Calderion accordingly. My last entry had Cal at 9100 points, or just over the point he needed for 4th level. The werewolves are worth 600 points each, or 4800 for the whole pack. When that number is divided up amongst the whole team, each of the characters gets 960 points apiece. That gets Cal to 10,060. Not bad. He’s still got a long trek to get to the next level, though. The level 5 threshold is 15,000. 
   Next comes the loot! Argren has a bunch of goodies Cal would love to get his grubby hands on. The first is Argen’s spell book. That one will be easy, since I can’t see any of the other characters really wanting it. Still I can’t take it as a given, there might be a dispute over the distribution of the rewards. So it’s back to the GM Emulator  to input a few questions. My first step was to end the previous scene, and since the combat was over I also lowered the chaos level down a notch to 8. I then asked “Is the team ok with Cal taking possession of the Necromancer’s spell book?” and got an “Exceptional Yes.” answer.
   Well that’s interesting. Maybe the “exceptional” part of the answer means they are grateful enough to Cal to let him have the rest of the evil wizard’s stuff uncontested? That sounds a bit more dubious. So I lower the odds of a positive answer on the emulator & input Q: “With the exceptional yes for the spell book, does that also mean the other items on the necromancer's corpse are also awarded to Cal?” And struck gold. Even with the odds lowered I still get a “YES”! I add the necromancer’s items to Calderion’s Hero Lab file. These include a Headband of Vast Intelligence +2, a wand of Shield, a wand of Magic Missile, 3 potions of Cure Light Wounds, 5 oils of Magic Weapon, and  3 Potions of Invisibility. Only the headband, Shield wand, and Cure potions would interest him, though. For Cal the real prize is the spell book. As a rules note- yes I did roll for Cal to identify these items. He beat the needed Difficulty Class in every case by at least 8, in some cases by 12 or more.
   But up pops a Random Event alert targeting Ralvor. Specifically it says “E: Action by Ralvor (rogue 4): an Ambush and Extravagance”. Heh. I thought giving all that stuff to Calderion would be an issue. This is an easy translation. I’ll have Ralvor disagree with giving all Argren’s stuff to Cal & try to steal some of it. That fits the “ambush” (being a sneaky underhanded action) and “extravagance” (since it involves objects of value). Now it comes down to WHAT he targets for theft. The Headband of Vast Intelligence +2 is the most valuable item on the list. But the most useful items to Ralvor would most likely be the 3 Potions of Invisibility also noted. So I go back to the Emulator to decide what the rogue will do. Will he choose utility over value? The Emulator says “Yes.” So Ralvor is going to try to pocket the potions. I’ll check his rolls to see if he succeeds in his theft in a moment, because another Random Event alert just came up.
   This one puts the spotlight on Kushear. It reads “E: Action by Kushear (pal 4): the Creation of the Masses”. I hit the thesaurus again and find “establishment” can fill in for “creation”, and for “masses” I can stretch that to mean the “rank and file” of a group. So I get “the establishment of the rank and file”. I decide that I’ll have Kushear propose to everyone that they form a permanent team of adventurers, since they seem to have nearly completed this mission and it would be a shame to have them disband after working so well together.
   Calderion’s answer would be an affirmative to such an offer, as he’s always been nervous about continuing his travels alone. I’ll check with the Emulator to determine the responses of the others. Fannen might not be willing to leave his home here in the Slithering Deeps, and Ral & Myrlia will decide as a couple I would think.
   Now to back track a bit, and check on Ralvor’s attempt to steal the potions. This is an opposed use of his Sleight of Hand skill, with him rolling an 11 total. Ouch. That means he only rolled a 4 before his +7 bonus got added. Meanwhile, Calderion needs to beat that 11 on a Perception check roll. Which he does easily with 20 total.
   So he’ll catch Ralvor in the act. Huh. That might change how Cal feels about joining permanently with these folks. I mean, Ralvor at least will have shown himself to be untrustworthy after all. It will depend allot on the response I get from the GM Emulator as to whether the others are even interested.  
   So a quick series of questions in the Emulator, with the odds on the probability slider set to “50/50 or Unsure” (or in Fannen’s case lower- that was set at “Unlikely”) asking whether the other team members wanted to create a more permanent group resulted in a “Yes” answer in every case. Even Fannen was willing leave his hermitage and take up with the adventurers.
   Wow. The Emulator just gave me 3 new Radom Event pop-ups. First was “E: Negative for Kushear (pal 4): Guidance regarding an Investment”. Since Ralvor’s attempt at stealing from Cal would make Calderion hesitant to join, I decide to use this penalty to see if Kushear would be willing to use his share of any monetary loot to convince (bribe) Cal to join despite Ralvor’s actions. Since Kushear would lose out on the money, that will fill the criteria, assuming the Emulator says it happens. Which it does: “Q: Would Kushear, in penance for Ralvor's theft, offer his share to Cal to try to convince him to remain with the team? YES” Okay then. I’ll go with that.
   This whole attempted theft by Ralvor seems to be blowing up into a bigger issue within the group. I think I better see how far it goes. “Q: Does Ralvor's attempted theft change anyone's mind about joining as a permanent team? YES”
   Hm. Well, by process of elimination, the one most likely to change his mind would be Fannen. The team is Kushear’s idea, so I can’t see him suddenly backing out. Myrlia is in a relationship with Ral, and Kushear is family, so it probably wouldn’t be her. As for Ralvor himself, if Myrlia wants to stay he’ll most likely (reluctantly) follow along. But I’ll check just to be sure- I might get a surprise answer, after all. “Q: Is the person who decides against joining Fannen? YES”
   Ok, no huge surprises here, it seems. One thing to note is that Fannen only joined up to help because he was an old friend of Ralvor’s. Maybe the reason Fannen was out here in the swamp in the 1st place was due to Ralvor’s unsavory actions in the past. In that case the druid might get really REALLY pissed if Ral tries that crap again. Oh the drama!
   The second event was one that happens somewhere else, but has some kind of effect on the group or game. Copied from the GM Emulator I got: “E: Remote Event: the Postponement of Extravagance”. The only character that had any plans past this adventure was of course Cal, since the others are just supporting Nonplayer Characters. He had booked passage on a ship out of Bottle Bay, but since the departure had been delayed, he had decided to join Kushear’s group as an exciting (and hopefully profitable) way to fill in his time waiting. Calderion had planned to travel to the island-city of Tolifer to attend the wizard academy there to gain the benefits of a formal training, since he was largely self-taught. So perhaps this Remote Event means his trip is postponed somehow. A quick query to the Emulator shows that is exactly what happened: “Q: Does the remote event consist of the ship Cal was booked on leaving without him? YES”.
   Okay then-as a future story element that is interesting to know. But nothing really changes in the immediate scene. The 3rd Random Event DOES affect things however. It again targeted Kushear, with a positive event. Copying again from the Emulator: “E: Positive for Kushear (pal 4): a Triumph of a Plot”. The main plot was of course to rescue the Goddess Yuelral’s messenger, a Lyrakien Azata sent to deliver direct instructions from the Goddess herself to her most important worshipers. The messenger had been captured by the necromancer Argren the Dark, and the team had been tasked to attempt to free it. Does this mean the team succeeds? I go back to the Emulator with the following inquiry: “Q: Does Kushear's positive event mean he finally locates and frees the imprisoned Lyrakien Azata?  YES”.
   So it would seem.
   Victory at last? Maybe- we’ll see what happens next. I’ll write up this scene & then it’s up to the GM Emulator to help determine events after that.
   Calderion’s final spell finishes off the last attacking werewolf, although the remaining pack members escape by jumping off the encircling balcony to the great hall below. They then flee the tower, back out into the Slithering Deeps. Cal and his companions had triumphed.
   With the skirmish over, Cal waves a hand and ends the Web spell that he had used to entrap and impede the attackers. The thick, glistening cables snap loose from their anchors, causing the whole weave to sag and collapse before abruptly disappearing. The bodies of the werewolves that had been snared in the spell drop to the floor, having returned to their human shape after death.
   Myrlia turns to Ralvor and fiercely clutches at him. “When I saw them change…it was horrible! Nothings ever frightened me as much before!” Ralvor holds her close, and answers “We won, sweetheart. They’re gone now.”
   “Yes-and take to heart, cousin, that despite your fear you stood your ground. That is a true mark of courage.” Kushear points out.
   Fannen & Calderion move to examine their fallen enemies while the family comforts & reassures Myrlia. Fannen stoops to look closer at the lead werewolf, and remarks “I knew they were here in in the Deeps- word of their presence spread fast- but I never realized the wizard had bargained for their help. Otherwise I would have mentioned them. I apologise for the oversight.”
   Cal shrugs, dismissing the issue and moves on to the body of the necromancer while Myrlia releases Ralvor and turns to Fannen. “I don’t think it would have mattered, Fannen. Without you and Cal, we would never have beaten them. We had no silver weapons- our attacks were all but useless. Without your magic and Cal’s, our fight would have been a total defeat.”
   Kushear scowls at her proclamation of their potential failure. “I’m sure the gods would not have…” he starts, only to be interrupted. “Kushear, be reasonable. It’s not a lack bravery to underestimate your foes. It’s a lack of strategy. Poor tactics. You’re a better fighter than that. You must have recognized how untenable the fight could have been without the magical assistance?” Myrlia demands.
   Kushear sighs, and puts a commiserating hand on her shoulder. “Yes.” The paladin admits softly. “But part of a leader’s duty is to also try to maintain the morale of those he leads, cousin. We were lured to what was to have been a total massacre. I suspect they knew we were coming. I also strongly suspect whoever was feeding the necromancer his information didn’t anticipate Fannen breaking his neutrality to join us, or us being accompanied by a wizard of our own. Indeed, Cal was almost the one thing that tipped the whole situation back in our favor.” The crusader fires a friendly smile towards the young wizard, only to have it fade into a look of bemused exasperation.
   Cal has located Argren’s book of spells, and while the other have been talking he has been quietly flipping through its slightly scorched pages. At Kushear’s mention of his name, Calderion looks up briefly from his study and in an obviously distracted reply says “Um. Yes, of course. Always glad to help.” He then flips another page, and murmurs “Oh. This is interesting too…”
   Myrlia rolls her eyes, and grins as she shakes her head. “Calderion?”
   “Hm?”
   “CAL!” she tries again more forcefully.
  The young mage looks up, startled from his preoccupation and then, totally chagrined, he closes the book. “I’m so sorry…I was just…once you get past the…” he stammers.
   Kushear raises a quick hand to forestall Cal’s attempt to explain. “Never mind right now, just take it all. You can do a closer look later. We need to move on, find Yuelral’s messenger and finish this.”
   “What?! Wait-all of it?” Ralvor objects. Fannen glances at the rogue with narrowed eyes, but Ral fails to notice.
   Kushear wave away his complaint. “It’s all mostly wizard stuff anyway, I would imagine. Probably not much use to anyone else here. It’s not as if he hasn’t worked for it, after all. Now then- I’d like to put a proposition out to everyone. We’ve worked well together and…”
   “Actually I think the 3 Potions of Invisibility would be useful to just about anyone…” Cal starts. Ralvor examines the young mage with renewed interest as Calderion packs away the items he found.
   “Please, Cal, let me finish.” Kushear waits a moment to be sure Calderion is listening, and then continues.  “Right then. So, we’ve worked well together on this venture, and I’ve come to regard all of you as friends. I’m sure that, even after we’ve finished here there will be other tasks we will be called upon to investigate. I propose we form an active team, able to lend each other aid across the group as needed. A band of adventurers, so to speak. With our forces combined into a diverse but cohesive whole, the situations we can face successfully become so much broader. What do you think?”
   Myrlia nods. “Of course I’ll help. Family sticks together.”
   Ralvor doesn’t look enthusiastic about the idea, but simply answers with “Whatever Myrlia wants is fine.”
   Fannen is silent a moment as he gives the idea some thought. “Perhaps it is time for me to take another look at the world outside again. Hiding away here hasn’t seemed to keep the world out, so I might as well try to make it at least as livable as I can.”
   Cal is practically bouncing. “This is just like the Epic of Terrane, right at the beginning at the Band of Twelve’s first quest! This is incredible! I get to be part of a bard’s tale! Wait until Elladan learns of this in my next letter!”
  “This isn’t a story, Cal. We’ll be doing important work.” Kushear replies repressively, while Myrlia stifles her laughter.
   Ralvor walks across to the enthusiastic youth, puts his hands on his shoulders and gives Calderion a serious shake. “You got to focus a bit more if this is going to happen. Quit your dreaming!”
   Looking somewhat crestfallen that the others don’t share his wonder, Cal looks down at the ground. “Yes, I understand. It’s not a game.” he mutters rebelliously. “I still think it’s exciting…HEY! What are you…?” Cal suddenly steps back from Ralvor, and bats at the rogue’s hands. Time seems to stop as Ralvor drops a trio of small vials. Vials that only minutes before everyone had seen Cal pack away. Cal bends down and retrieves the tiny bottles. He holds them up looking confused and lost, and asks into the silence “Why?”
   “Oh, no…Ral…you promised…” Myrlia says, her voice shattered, breaking into a half-sob from her disappointment.
   “AGAIN!” Fannen bursts out angrily. “I gave you a second chance after the last time, and agreed to help you because you claimed to be changed. But now you steal from those who put their trust in you AGAIN?! Wasn’t Staggan’s death enough for you, you greedy son of goblin?”
   Ralvor turns and confronts Fannen. “You can’t pin Staggan on me! He was run through by those orc raiders! I’m the one that finished the orc that killed him!” he snarls.
   “No?” Fannen replies, his tone dripping in contempt. “You think so? Then tell me what happened to the healing potion Staggan had. The one that might’ve saved his life if it hadn’t been ‘relocated’ into your belt pouch?”
   “I…” Ral tries to speak, but then turns back and steps away from the group, unable to withstand their heavy censure.
   Cal walks over to the older man, and gives him all 3 Potions of Invisibility. In a hurt tone the youth says with reproach “You only had to ask.” Cal then turns and rejoins the others, leaving Ralvor staring down at the bottles in his hand.
   Calderion stops to stand by Kushear. With obvious regret, he tells the taller half-elf “I’m sorry, but I don’t think I can join you, Kushear. Not now. I needed to trust & I no longer have that here. Perhaps someday, but I think for the nonce I’ll need some time to find that trust again.”
   “I wish I could say something to change your mind, but I do understand your choice. Will you at least wait until we return to Bottle Bay to take your leave?” the paladin asks.
   “Yes, of course. I have a ship to catch there in any event, so it’s on my way.” Cal nods.
   “Thank you for that.” Kushear looks over to the druid next, and begins “Fannen, will…”
   “NO. He had his second chance from me. All I want right now is for you to finish this, and get his sorry skin out of the Slithering Deeps. You seem like an upright and forthright person, Kushear, but I’ll not endure through the deceptions of that blackguard again.” Fannen glowers at Ralvor’s back.
   “Whatever. I see where this is heading. I’ll go…” Ralvor suddenly says, his voice harsh with emotion. He pushes his way between Cal & Kushear, then shoves the bottles back into Calderion’s hands. Pivoting, he turns and heads for the stairs leading back down. Fannen crosses his arms and watches him leave.
   “Ral wait!” Myrlia cries, and turns desperate eyes to Kushear.
  Kushear gives her a small nod. “Listen to your heart, cousin. But remember our purpose is to lead them into the light, not follow them into the dark.” With that Myrlia turns and chases after the rogue. Voices can be heard in the stairwell, and although no words can be made out, it definitely sounds like a heated argument.
   As Cal quietly put the potion bottles away again, Kushear removes his gauntlets for a moment and runs a hand over his face. “Cal, when we are done here, I anticipate we’ll each be having a share of a considerable fortune of wealth, if we take stock of the total found. I want you to have my share of the final amount in addition to the equal part we would already bequeath, as my personal apology for the actions of my companions. You can use the funds to provide you greater protections, and comfort, when you leave.  I do wish you would reconsider staying on, even if only on a temporary basis. I think your outlook, almost as much as your wizardry, can make a difference to any group you are part of.”
   Calderion listens to Kushear as he repacks, then looks up at the taller half-elf. “I won’t refuse your offer, Kushear, but right now I’m not leaning towards staying. Let’s just finish the purpose we’re here for, and get back to town. We’ll see if time will change my mind. I am grateful, at least, that you’re willing to accept my decision, whatever it may be in the end.”  
   At that, noises behind them announce the return of Myrlia, accompanied by a subdued looking Ralvor. As the couple rejoins the group, Ral says “I’m sorry, Cal. I justified stealing from you in my mind as getting my fair share. It was a selfish and underserved act on my part. I promise it’ll never happen again.”
   Fannen angrily mutters “Until the next time anyway.” and turns away. The old druid obviously has had his limit of Ral, and is unwilling to forgive.
   Cal, however, offers a small measure of leniency. “I’ll accept your apology, Ral, and hold no grudge. But I’m still unsure of my feelings towards staying. Let’s finish here, and discuss it more once we return to Bottle Bay.” Ralvor, still looking miserable, nods.
   Myrlia gives the rogue a hug, and whispers “Well done, love. You’ve made the effort. Be true to your word, and let the others decide their own path.” Ralvor hugs her back, without answering, but his expression eases a bit as he sighs into her hair.
Scene 28
   With the end of the drama with Ralvor I decide to split things again and begin a new scene as the characters move on and begin to further explore this level of the old fortress. It just feels like a good place to change it over. I call up the GM Emulator to end the scene and start the new one.
   And BOOM! The Emulator hits me with a Random Event alert. Copied directly, it reads: “E: Negative for Calderion (wiz 4): the Separation of Riches”. Well, this is going to suck. The most expensive item on Cal is that magic headband mentioned back in the beginning of this post. Somehow, some item or items are going to be lost. I’ll check to see if it is the headband: “Q: Does the negative event involve the magic headband Cal has? YES”. Damnit. But at least it wasn’t the spell book. Another point is that the headband’s worth actually put Cal over the game’s Wealth by Level limit for his character level. Which means it makes all-too-much sense for him to lose the thing anyway. Easy come, easy go I guess. So what happens to it? Does it get lost? Stolen? Destroyed?! I go back to the Emulator to find out: “Q: Is the headband destroyed? EXCEPTIONAL YES”. Huh. I can’t get a more definitive end than that. Not just broken, it seems, but utterly wrecked beyond any hope of repair. I knew this was going to suck. Seeking more details I ask & receive the following question & answer: “Q: Is the headband destroyed in the effort to free the Goddess' messenger? YES”. Okay, at least it can be worked into the narrative, and not be something dumb like Cal drops it out a window or whatever.
   Wow. Another random event, but this is one I’ve never seen before. It doesn’t introduce an event, but a new CHARACTER into the game: “E: New NPC: the Attainment of Failure”. So someone new is to be presented, with the “Attainment of Failure” as their purpose. From that I would deduce they’re not going to be friends.
   Wait a sec. What if the new character is the Arch-devil that Argren was offering the Goddess Yuelral’s messenger to in sacrifice? There is no way in Hell (pun intended) these characters can take on such a creature. But if it isn’t on this world, only communicating- bargaining- then maybe it can be dealt with. In a sneaky way that fills all the above events.
   Kushear, still disappointed about the sudden collapse of his hopes for creation of a permanent team, looks around and motions towards the door nearest the stair. “Well, let’s finish our search.” He walks to the door in question, opens it and looks inside. After a brief hesitation, he closes the door again and turns to move to the next.
   “Um, Kushear? What was in there?” Cal asks in a puzzled tone, confused at the paladin’s actions.
   “Nothing. Literally. The ceiling and most of the outside walls had collapsed some time ago, and even the floor had partially crumbled into the space below. The hole in the floor looks like it had been used for an opening to allow smoke from a fire to escape, but I thought we should continue with this level before running back down the stairs.” Kushear replied. As taken from GM Emulator:Q: Is there anything interesting beyond the 1st door? YES” followed with Q: Is it anything other than the fact the room in question is largely collapsed and unstable? NO”.
 Showing that some of his spirit had returned, Ralvor comments “Well it IS a ruin after all…” throwing Cal’s earlier words from when they 1st entered back at him.
   Calderion sardonically raises an eyebrow to acknowledge the hit, and simply responds with “True enough.” as the team trails after Kushear to the door next along the wall. This one is located just before the door the werewolves had emerged from. Again Kushear opens the door, only to look inside and close it again.Q: Is the next room intact? YES Q: Is there anything inside? NO.”
   “Another collapsed chamber?” Ralvor asks.
   “No, it appeared intact, but was empty and unused. Best not to waste time on an empty room.” was the reply he got. Ralvor shrugs in agreement and the group moves to the door the werewolves had come from.
   Kushear cautiously opens it, then staggers back in shock. The group immediately readies for trouble, but instead Kushear  steps back several steps and makes retching noises.
   “What is it? A trap?” Myrlia asks, her previous fear of the shape-changers looming in her voice.
   “No, but by the gods of light, it STINKS in there. It reeks of a kennel uncleaned in years! What a horrid stench!” Kushear answers, breathing through his mouth so as to not inhale more of the smell from the room. “Filthy creatures!”
   Ralvor covers his face with a cloth & looks inside. “There are 3 or 4 storage chests in there- it might be where they keep- kept- their stuff.” He moves inside, and with gloved hands begins to go over the boxes. Consulting the GM Emulator again, I get the following: “Q: Are any of the chests in the werewolves' room trapped? YES”. To find out how many are trapped, I use the dice roller on the Emulator to roll a digital 1d4, with the result of “R: the # of traps: 1/4”. So only 1 of them is trapped. I check again using the same roll to find out which of them he checks is the trapped one. The Emulator produces “R: which chest of the 4 is trapped?: 1/4”. So the trap will be on the first chest he tries to open. I use the random generator from the donjon website to determine the trap details. It provides a list of 10 possibilities, and I pick the arrow trap as the most logical of the bunch to fit this situation. The trap’s game stats are:
   Arrow Trap: CR 3; mechanical; Perception DC 22; Disable Device DC 20; Trigger location; Reset manual; Effect Atk +12 ranged (2d6/x3)
   Ralvor only rolls a 13 to detect the trap, so he fails to notice it. The trap fires off and gets a 22 on its attack roll, beating the rogue’s Armor Class by 5. That is a definite hit, followed with a damage roll of 8 on 2d6. THUNK! That’ll hurt. It’s not a fatal hit, of course, but still a solid blow. Karma is a bitch- that’s what he gets for trying to steal from poor Calderion. Ralvor’s Hit Points drop to 34 from 42 originally.
   I again went back to  the donjon website to determine the contents of the chests. I used the random treasure generator for the Pathfinder game the site has to create a treasure hoard for a 3rd level party.
   Below is the list copied from the random result:
Coins
12 gp, 80 sp
Gems
  1. Alabaster (11 gp)
  2. Freshwater Pearl (11 gp)
  3. Obsidian (11 gp)
  4. Onyx (35 gp)
  5. Pyrite (8 gp)
  6. Red Spinel (45 gp)
Total value = 121 gp
Masterwork Items
  1. Masterwork Heavy Steel Shield (170 gp)
  2. Masterwork Longsword (315 gp)
Total value = 485 gp
Magic Items
  1. Potion of Vanish (apg, 50 gp)
Total value = 50 gp
Total value
676 gp
   So when the total value is divided up amongst the 5 team members, each gets a share worth about 135 gp. I’ll hand the coins, the onyx, the red spinel, & the potion of Vanish to Cal as his part, then spread the rest over the other characters later. And that finalizes everything from the werewolves. I’ll write this up and move on to the next (final?) room.
   Suddenly everyone hears the loud “TWANG!” of a released spring, and with a sharp grunt of pain Ralvor falls back from the chest he was opening. Blood streams wetly down his leg as he clutches at the shaft of an over-sized arrow now buried deep in his thigh. In a rush Myrlia is at his side, and with a quick pull removes the arrow. But when she begins to pray to Arshea for healing, Ralvor gently stops her. “Save your strength, sweetheart. I’ll use the Healing potion. We might need your power more later.” He pulls out the tiny bottle and downs the contents. The magic takes effect and the wound disappears as if it had never existed, leaving not even a scar. Ral gives a sigh of relief. “I’m kind of glad the magic worked.” he remarks.
   “Me too, lover, me too.” Myrlia smiles. “That arrow came awfully close to some important parts.” Ral looks again at his leg and notices for the 1st time exactly where the hole punched into his pants by the arrow is. His eyes widen, and he swallows in shock at the wound’s former location. 
   “Now I’m REALLY glad the magic worked!” he says shakily. He takes a deep breath and lets it out. “Now that all the hard part is over, let’s see what those mutts ad stashed…” his words trail off into a low whistle as he flips open the chests to reveal the contents. The bright glitter of gemstones reflect out from atop a pile of mangy clothes. In the second chest is an artistically engraved longsword of high quality, while the 3rd produces a well-crafted shield of heavy steel fastened to the inside lid, weighing down a bundle of somewhat moldy blankets. The last box has only a few gold and silver coins and a small vial in a tin packed with a large assortment of preserved food.
   Ral drops a couple of the nicer stones into the tin, and hands the whole thing to Calderion. “See what you can make of the stuff in the vial.”
   Cal nods and his eyes take on a swirling kaleidoscope of colour as he invokes his mage sight to help him to Detect Magic  and determine the nature of the potion. Ral watches a moment then looks away. “Gods that’s uncanny. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the way that looks when you do that.” he says. Cal uses the Detect Magic plus his Spellcraft skill, to identify the potion. He succeeds, rolling a 17. It was a close roll though. He needed to beat a target number of 16. This even though he has a +14 bonus added. What a crappy roll- that bonus is the only thing that let this happen. Incidentally, I just remembered Cal has the Vanish spell in his spell book. That means he can make any  potions of Vanish he needs. I’ll let Ralvor have it instead.
   After a few moments, Calderion says “I believe it’s a weaker type of invisibility potion. It lasts only a brief time- less than a minute- to allow for an escape attempt or quick shift in location. To all appearances the imbiber will seem to vanish, then re-appear elsewhere seconds later.” The youth hands the tiny bottle to Ral. “You might find it useful. Let me know if you need more- I’ll make you up a few if you need.”
   “Wait- you can make these?!” Ral asks incredulously.
   “Pretty easily in fact. It should take me only a matter of a few hours.” Cal answers coolly.  “I told you that you had only needed to ask.”
   And there we go. The next scene will involve them finding the Lyrakien Azata and bargaining for its release. That will be a major scene in itself. So I think this makes a good spot to stop, post this entry, and leave things hanging for the next one. I hope you’ve enjoyed reading this as much as I’ve enjoyed doing it.
   Stay tuned for Part 6!

   
  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 4